Yeah, I know that two blogs maybe pushing it on my reader’s a bit too hard, but I wanted to get this blog out into the blogosphere before I forgot it. Here they are…the ten best cover songs according to Matt.
Because I said so.
10. Hazy Shade of Winter – The Bangles (Simon and Garfunkel): Simply better.
9. Shot The Sheriff – Eric Clapton (Bob Marley): Covers like these make you forget the original ever happened. Eric Clapton is the man at making covers better (see: Crossroads, After Midnight) and this is no exception.
8. Twist and Shout – The Beatles (The Isley Brothers): The Beatles have given a lot of songs that are great for covering but this time they take one from someone else and knock it out of the park.
7. 99 Red Balloons – Goldfinger (Nene): Ok, I know that ska puts out a TON of covers (probably the most out of all genres) but frankly alot of them aren’t that good. I know I’ll probably catch some flak for that, but it’s true. This is a clear cut exception.
6. Higher Ground – Red Hot Chili Peppers (Stevie Wonder): I admit, I hopped on the bandwagon after Guitar Hero, but I’m glad I did. Frusciante’s driving licks put Stevie’s version to shame.
5. I Fought the Law – The Clash (The Crickets): Yeah, I’ve never heard of the Crickets before now, but their version sucks and the Clash version just dominates over anything else–including Green Day’s take.
4. Surrender – Less Than Jake (Cheap Trick): Fine, a little more ska. This one takes off quickly and doesn’t stop. Way more energy than Cheap Trick’s version, and while the original will always have a place in my heart, LTJ gives it something more…something powerful and raw.
3. Abracadabra – Sugar Ray (Steve Miller Band): The original was really good, I’ll give it that, but it doesn’t have the same upbeat feel as the remake. Mark McGrath doesn’t butcher this, which is also a big help.
2. All Along the Watchtower – Jimi Hendrix (Bob Dylan): Until recently, I just learned that this song wasn’t originally Hendrix–I was excited because I love the song, and thought a different take on it might be interesting. I didn’t really like Dylan’s version, even if it was the original. Thankfully, I can’t think of this song better any way other than Jimi’s.
1. You Really Got Me – Van Halen (The Kinks): Van Halen really gave this song what it needed. The guitar riffs are maddeningly awesome, and it’s just short enough to rock your world and not overstay it’s welcome.
As a bonus, here are the 5 worst cover songs I can think of:
5. I Will Survive – Cake (Gloria Gaynor): Dustin, hit me now if you want, but this songs terrible! His voice has no passion, and he throws the f word in just to be cool! LAME.
4. Under Pressure – My Chemical Romance, The Used (Bowie and Queen): THIS SONG MAKES MY EARS BLEED.
3. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds – William Shatner (The Beatles): What was this guy doing? Listen to it. It will make you laugh, I promise.
2. Shook Me All Night Long – Celine Dion (AC/DC): Reason number 465 that Celine needs to be killed.
1. Live and Let Die – Guns ‘N’ Roses (Paul McCartney and the Wings): C’mon, really…were they even trying here? Listen to Axl’s voice, for crying out loud.
Do you guys have anymore?